Asbestos is primarily stated as a group of 6 natural fibrous minerals, which are otherwise composed of needle-like and thin fibres. Exposure can cause various diseases, including cancer, asbestosis and mesothelioma. Even though asbestos helps in strengthening and fireproofing materials, it is banned in most countries. Asbestos occurs naturally, which can be pulled into a fluffy consistency. These fibres are soft and flexible and even resistant to electricity, heat and corrosion. Such qualities will make this item useful but exposing to it much can be highly toxic.
Greatest health risk of all time:
Exposure to such airborne particle is a great risk to health. When the fibres become airborne, people working with asbestos might inhale particles. These particles will then remain in the lungs and with time can cause disease. A chance of getting these diseases depends on how long they are exposed to it.
· Lung cancer
· Malignant mesothelioma
· Pleural disorders
· Diffuse pleural thickening
· Pleural Plaques
· Pleural effusions
Importance of removing asbestos in construction areas:
Whenever any builder comes to work and find asbestos, it is important for the person to take proper steps to both protect and have substances removed. The fibres are proven too toxic to you and without proper protective equipment, there are high chances of them inhaling it.
· On the other hand, while working on any site, there are high risks of disturbing fibres and releasing them into the air. It means anyone collaborating to work on-site is at risk of getting exposed to substances.
· Making sure that asbestos is removed from the site before starting work is important before working on this site. It will prevent you from inhaling any of these fibres.
· It is always imperative to state that any type of asbestos within building site or property should get removed before a builder plans to come here and work.
The vitality of asbestos surveys:
Some builders might try using asbestos sealant but that won’t help in the wrong run. It is really important to actually remove the asbestos from the core and get instant help. An asbestos survey is highly recommended before the building work is properly carried out. Everyone has the right to be safe and healthy at work and proper steps to help to ensure that you remain in that manner and complete your job. Being a grave concern when it comes to health, it is vital to get them removed. The fibres are quite dangerous and toxic and anyone inhaling it can be at serious risk of developing conditions, which in future will affect the circulatory system.
Safety ways to remove asbestos:
There are few simple yet effective steps available, which will help you to decide how to remove asbestos. Make sure to ask experts to help you in this matter without trying DIY tricks.
- At first, they will wet down the materials thoroughly by spraying surfaces with water. This is a continuous procedure during the removal process. Sometimes, water gets mixed with detergent, or PVA solution to create a stronger liquid.
- In case, the working area is outdoor it is vital to use water from a low-pressure garden hose. Before that, it is mandatory to remove all electrical hazards. In case, sheets are bolted right in place, the experts will dampen them out and cut bolts and avoiding contacting ACM.
- Then the pros will remove bolts and fixings and place them in the asbestos waste container. Later, they will unbolt or use bolt cutters to release drain pipes, gutters, ridge caps and more. They will lower the larger pieces carefully to ground and won’t drop or pout in the rubble chutes.
- After that, they will stack the fibro based asbestos cement sheets without breaking the asbestos cement items. They will also be careful not to crush the debris on the ground.
- Later, they will place smaller asbestos pieces and debris in the asbestos waste container. For the next step, they will double wrap the larger pieces in plastic sheets and seal openings with duct tape properly. Finally, they will wrap or bag the asbestos wastes and labelled them properly.
There are some DIY steps available as well to remove asbestos. However, only experts know how to protect them before taking up the job. So, it is better to give them the task to cover.